Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Halifax is a bit nippy, eh.

My dear little peach pies,

Well, I made it into Canada. I had a wretched time saying goodbye to everyone I met during my last nine months living in the backwoods of Massachusetts (my Halifaxian friend Abby rather helpfully pointed out that I could have had a baby in that time). However, fresh beginnings are exciting. Yes indeed! New city, new flatmates, new job, and new food.

The first night I was here, Abby cooked me fresh linguine with lemon zest, basil, smoked ham, and cream. We drank red wine and had a haphazard catch up on the last six years. It was a pretty simple dish but it was exactly what I needed in a time of transition - and somehow that magical alchemy of a familiar face, carbs and alcohol made me feel right at home. Brilliant.

I'm only here in Halifax until Saturday, so I asked Abby what dishes might be considered uniquely Halifaxian so I could sample some new things while I'm here. Unfortunately she wasn't able to volunteer many options, as not many exist. One thing she did mention was the famous (infamous?) Donair. According to good old Wikipedia, a donair is a variation on the doner kebab. It was originally introduced in Halifax, Nova Scotia in the early 1970s. A restaurant called King of Donair claims to have been the first to serve this version in 1973. The owners of King of Donair had originally tried selling Greek Gyro sandwiches, but had a hard time selling them so replaced the lamb with beef and the tzatziki with a sweet garlic sauce, thus inventing the Donair.

Well how 'bout that? I have a feeling I might need to have a few beers before attempting to consume this Canuk delicacy. Any thoughts, my little sausages? I'll let you know whether this culinary adventure eventuates or not... If you care to cast a vote or simply volunteer an opinion, you can comment on this post or email me: dorisplum(at)gmail.com.

Love, Doris

No comments:

Post a Comment