Friday, February 18, 2011

Iconic Canadian Drunk-Food


Hello my little cream puffs,

So you may have seen my little preamble video about donairs in Halifax. The video of me actually EATING the donair got chopped into bits (too big to email!), so I took it down. Technical issues seem to be plaguing me right now - it's a fairly consistent theme. BUT onwards and upwards as my mother would say.

THE DONAIR IN REVIEW
You can read a little more about the donair in my previous post on the subject. Upon sampling, I felt the donair was pretty odd to be honest, but I can imagine it would have been fantastic had I been maybe two whiskeys drunker. The garlic sauce was so sweet it almost constituted dessert, and the meat had this sausagey aftertaste that I wasn't overly keen on. I couldn't actually finish it, but luckily I had two *lovely* ladies to help me out. On a ratings scale of one plum to five plums, I would give it two plums.

BUT!
Much better on the Iconic Canadian Drunk-Food front is poutine. Poutine! It's just fries, gravy and cheese curds but holy moley, it is delicious. See picture above. I arrived in Toronto almost two weeks ago, and I've had two variations on the poutine theme; plain poutine from a pub called Clinton's (excellent, surprisingly good gravy for a vegetarian dish), and a duck poutine from Prohibition on Queen St East (slightly blander, soupier gravy, but the duck on top was very good indeed).

Toronto is pretty much foodie heaven, so I'm pretty excited about eating my way around it. And this weekend I'm going to Kensington Markets, which is supposed to be pretty wonderful. I've been so excited about eating out that I haven't cooked at home very much, so I promise to post some exotic new recipe soon...

Much love,

Doris

No comments:

Post a Comment